When you have studied this chapter, you should be able to:
- 1 Define the concept of self-control
- 2 Understand the benefits of self-control for performance
- 3 Understand the consequences of self-control failure for performance
- 4 Explain the strength model of self-control
- 5 Explain the RAMS
- 6 Discuss methodological issues when investigating how self-control works and
- 7 Describe strategies for improving self-control
Self-control in sport Does willpower resemble a muscle?
Roy Baumeister has done an enormous amount of research in self-control. He has a superb website where his work can be located and was interviewed here.
Willpower: Self-control, decision fatigue, and energy